This photoblog has been created so I can share
my personal thoughts about photography
and things that are just
simply life.

Thanks for stopping by and comments are always welcome.

All we need is love! <3
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, September 12, 2008

9.11 I remember, do you?



It's hard to believe that seven years has past. Four years before Jaxon (pictured above) was born.




As I close my eyes, I remember....




The phone rang in the middle of the night, a typical humid New Zealand night. Peter answered, tapped lightly on the door and whispered, 'Sarah, your dad is on the phone.' I was half awake when my dad said, 'New York is being attacked.' In my half slumber (and being from New Mexico) I instantly thought of aliens. In dreams or in moments of half awareness things like that oddly make sense. I was confused, sat up in bed and turned the TV on to CNN. I shifted my eyes towards the glass paned french doors that led outside to the upstairs balcony. In the reflection of the glass, I could see my kiwi family all leaning towards the glowing television, where smoke bellowed from the first plane that collided with the tower. Everyone in the room was silent. Directing my attention back to the TV, the second plane hit and we all gasped in unison. I quickly looked away from the TV and stared outside into the darkness- twinkling lights sparkled off of the Auckland harbor water. Looking past Rangitoto Island, into black darkness, I imaged my family back in America and instinctively wished my family were safe with me, in New Zealand. I was more than 7000 miles away from my family. I was further away from New Mexico than I ever felt before, utterly helpless. Thinking ........why??? I clutched tightly onto my future husbands hand, instantly feeling safer.




I open my eyes, I remember.




Approaching my dad's house yesterday, I saw hanging at half mass, the strong colors of America. Two and a half year old Jaxon was running around the yard, laughing and rolling in the grass, oblivious of 9.11- as he should be. I grabbed my camera and asked Jaxon to hug the flag pole. He did. But as he let go, he quickly leaned towards the pole and said, 'Oh- and a kiss too.'






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was standing with dad when he called you. I was actually driving by his house when EVERY single radio station was talking about the World Trade Center. I was like, "WTF?" So I stopped at our parents house and ran up to the door and pounded on it as I walked inside. Dad looked at me very confused like, "Why are you here?!?" I told him, "quick turn on the TV to any channel. We're being bombed in NYC!" I was standing there as he called you and watched the second plane hit live! I thought that crap was fake.

Anonymous said...

Oh and by the way, My son, Jaxon, is badass!

Anonymous said...

I remember as if it oh so well, and never to be forgotten. Jaxon young and innocent but such a love, proof of a true American. He may not have experienced that day but I'm sure at least once in his life he will be asked a question regarding 9/11 during a school test. Nice captured photo.

Anonymous said...

I will never forget that day. I was in disbelief, it was frightening. Since then many young men & women have gone to war to protect our great country. Many have returned injured not only phyically but mentally and many lost their lives leaving broken families. My sympathy to families of fallen and my graditude to all who chose to protect us all and much happiness to those who survived their tour. God Bless America! As for Jaxon my love forever. Such a young age and he is a love, intelligent, talkative and learning 3 languages. Our family was truely blessed. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Of course I remember, it was horrible.
The photos of Jaxon are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Ironic that a germaphobic photographer let her nephew's lips explore an outdoor metal fixture. At least it adds a few more strains that Jaxon will be able to resist. The photos look very nicely composed, too.